Click on any of the choices below to go to that section of this
Archaeologists unearthed a wide variety of artifacts from the
cellar of Rumney's Tavern which is located at London Town. On
this page you can
- see pictures of the dig
- read an inventory of items found so far
- read lab reports about some of those items
- find student activities related to the dig
- and participate in a virtual dig
Pictures of the Dig at Rumney's Tavern
To see a list of the artifacts found at the cellar dig, click
For each of the items you find in the virtual dig, you can read
a lab report written by the archaeologists at London Town. You
can see the report by finding the object in the dig, or by clicking
on its name in the table below.
Activities based on Archaeological Information
- Apply the skills used by archaeologists in the field. Select an
item in your home and write a report in which you identify its
distinguishing features. Click here to get a blank form to use in your report. Draw a picture, or place a photograph
of your artifact in the box at the top of the page, then fill
in all the categories of information that you can discover about
- Select one of the items found in Rumney's Tavern and draw from
your reading in history to hypothesize where and how it changed
hands and traveled from its origin to the cellar where it was
- Discover the ten items in the virtual dig below and consider them
in addressing the following questions:
- What do the contents and stratification of the site suggest about
the activity in the tavern (e.g. What sort of customers did it
- What do the contents and stratification suggest about how the
site was formed over time?
Below is a scale drawing of the profile of the cellar dig at Rumney's
Tavern. Follow the directions below to see what you can "dig up"
from the cellar. To return to the dig after you read the lab report
on your artifact, just use the back button in your browser menu
You can be an archaeologist and "dig" in the cellar.
- Move your mouse over the diagram of the cellar at Rumney's Tavern.
- If the mouse arrow turns into a hand, you'll see a message at
the bottom of the screen telling you what you've found.
- When you see the message, click on the screen to see a picture
of your discovery.
- See if you can find all 10 hidden items.