The Director of Communications is responsible for facilitating strategic communications to convey the distinctive character and culture of Key School in support of the School’s recruitment, retention and philanthropic efforts. The Director reports to the Head of School and is a member of the Senior Administrative Team. The Director is charged with ensuring consistency and continuity of institutional messaging and works in close collaboration with the Advancement Director, Director of Enrollment and Outreach, Director of College Counseling, Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and Key’s four Division Heads. This is a twelve-month position that is renewed annually.
Projected start date - August 2021.
- Strategic visioning for all of the School’s internal and external messaging
- Oversight of school-wide communication, both print and electronic, internal and external
- Oversight and management of a three-person team
- Management of School’s graphic identity
- Effective storytelling to convey the depth and breadth of Key’s program for array of internal constituencies and external audiences
- Persuasive writing for print, web, advertising, and constituent correspondence
- Editing for print and electronic publications
- Management of the School’s website and social media outlets to include oversight of postings, traffic generation and Search Engine Optimization.
- Public relations efforts, which entail media and community relations, publications, press relations, advertising, videography, photography, and other printed materials.
- Oversight of all School photography
- Crisis communication inclusive of environmental scanning to identify potential issues of which the School should be aware
- Member of Key’s Security & Safety Committee
- Member of Key’s Board of Trustees Advancement Committee
- Management of Communication Budget and School-wide printing budget
- Community liaison with the local communities of Hillsmere Shores and Annapolis Roads that surround Key’s Campuses
- Bachelor's degree with minimum of five years marketing and communications experience
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated experience in marketing Mission Based institutions and programs
- Experience in the design of both print, digital, and web-based communications
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with other division and/or departments within an organization
- Experience in managing Crisis Communication
- Knowledge and experience in the application of Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion communication practices
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Experience in managing personnel to advance goals and objectives
- Proficiency with Google Workspace, Microsoft Office Suite, all social media platforms and online content management systems (e.g. Finalsite or Whipple Hill), Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus
Founded in 1958 by professors from nearby St. John's College, Key School is a progressive, coeducational, day school serving children ages 2.5 years through grade 12. The School places high priority on cultivating and sustaining a culture that respects the dignity of every human being. Key School's program is designed to develop independent thinkers, creative innovators, effective collaborators, tenacious problem-solvers, and articulate leaders while cultivating in its students a deep sense of purpose, accountability and intrinsic motivation.
With a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, Key is particularly interested in candidates with experience creating and working in an inclusive school setting. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Key School is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Helen Baxt at firstname.lastname@example.org.