Key School places high priority on cultivating and sustaining a culture that respects the dignity of every human being. With a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, Key is particularly interested in candidates with experience creating and working in an inclusive school setting.
Key School is seeking a dynamic and creative full-time educator to teach and lead our Lower School Science Program for first through fourth grade students.
The ideal candidate has experience with elementary science pedagogy, NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards), is innovative and technologically-savvy, resourceful, a team player, organized, flexible and able to integrate experiences to enhance, extend, and deepen classroom learning and curricular projects.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Teach science to grades 1-4;
- Create dynamic, hands-on science learning experiences for all lower school grades;
- Work with teachers regarding curriculum and matching units of teaching;
- Meet with grade level teams to plan lessons within units of study on a weekly basis;
- Team-teach within the science classroom at each grade level;
- Discuss and plan all science-based field trips;
- Organize and maintain a science room;
- Collaborate on the writing of course statements/curriculum mapping as well as yearly updating of Lower School science scope and sequence material;
- Write comments on students progress and development;
- Oversee the ordering and maintenance of materials for the science lab and classrooms;
- Help support program with appropriate materials and equipment;
- Support classroom teachers with appropriate materials and equipment on an as needed basis;
- Spearhead review of curriculum and instruction at each grade level/across the Lower School;
- Plan meetings/workshops with parents as needed
Across Campus Collaboration
- Confer with science teachers in the First, Middle, and Upper Schools and serve on the Pre-K through Grade 12 math/science committee;
- Co-plan and lead environmental initiatives including Earth Day activities with the Environmental Coordinator;
- Work with Facilities and the Environmental Coordinator to create outdoor learning spaces
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred)
- Minimum of three years experience with elementary school science
- Be creative, innovative, and forward-thinking
- Have a growth mindset
- Demonstrate reflection upon and learning from failures
- Able to collaborate effectively with colleagues across divisions and departments
- Be a flexible team member who can support, inspire, and motivate others and make decisions effectively
- Have enthusiasm for exploring new trends and tools for learning, strong organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Have experience with interdisciplinary and innovative curricular design
- Show commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work
- Have passion for culturally-responsive teaching
Founded in 1958 by professors from St. John's College, Key School engages children from 2.5 years of age through grade 12 in a progressive, coeducational, college-preparatory, day program on its picturesque 15-acre campus located 4 miles from downtown Annapolis. Perhaps no mandate in Key School's Mission Statement lies closer to the heart of the community than its injunction to "Sustain an ethical school culture that engenders an inherent respect for the dignity of every human being, recognizes that personal liberty must be balanced by personal responsibility and individual action by the needs of others, and stresses to all members of the School community the importance of trust, mutual respect, and compassion."
Key students are collaborative critical thinkers who are motivated and open-minded. Highly committed to their students, Key faculty and staff are supportive, industrious, creative, and approachable. A student-centered environment, Key places great value on respectful open discourse among students and adults alike.
With a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, Key is particularly interested in candidates with experience in creating inclusive school settings and who are culturally responsive. We are seeking candidates with a commitment to educational equity and justice. Key School is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume and names of three professional references to the Lower School Administrative Assistant, Jermaine Hawkins at email@example.com