Trip Activities List
Opportunities for outdoor education are integral to the Key experience from pre-kindergarten through grade twelve.
Key's commitment to providing a supportive environment for experiential learning extends far beyond the classroom.
All students, beginning in Middle School, participate in overnight trips that range from two to six days and include camping, hiking, backpacking, canoeing, sailing, moderately challenging kayaking and white water rafting, challenge/ropes course experiences, and rock climbing; these activities are described below, in detail, for each trip.
All activities are overseen by Key School Outdoor Education Staff and Faculty, unless otherwise noted. Additionally, many trips have leadership assistance from Upper School students who are trained outdoor peer leaders.
All School-sponsored trips are listed below by division. Select trip title to view a listing of the activities undertaken by Key students during these outdoor excursions.
- 5th Grade Quiet Waters Fall Outdoor Trip
- 5th Grade Quiet Waters Spring Outdoor Trip
- 5th/6th Grade Day Hike (Optional)
- 6th Grade North Bay Adventure Outdoor Trip
- 6th Grade Lewis & Clark Outdoor Experience
- 7th Grade Appalachian Trail Outdoor Trip
- 7th Grade Point Lookout Outdoor Trip
- 7th/8th Grade Ropes Course Challenge Outdoor Trip (Optional)
- 7th/8th Grade Spring Mountain Biking Trip (Optional)
- 8th Grade Old Rag Mountain Outdoor Trip
- 8th Grade Wye Island Outdoor Trip
- Middle School Summer Paddling Outdoor Trip
- Middle School Summer Backpacking Outdoor Trip
- 9th Grade Island Odyssey Outdoor Trip
- 9th Grade Spring Backpacking Outdoor Trip (Optional)
- 10th Grade Belay Training Night (Optional)
- 10th Grade Carderock Climbing Outdoor Trip
- 10th Grade Rollin' on the River Outdoor Trip
- 11th Grade Historic London Town Canoe Trip
- 11th Grade Quiet Waters Outdoor Trip
- 11th Grade Assateague Island Outdoor Trip
- 12th Grade Leadership Rafting Outdoor Trip
- Senior Outdoor Trip (Optional)
- Upper School Fall Paddling Outdoor Trip (Optional)
- Upper School Ropes Course Challenge Outdoor Trip (Optional)
- Upper School Winter Outdoor Trip (Optional)
- Upper School Summer Outdoor Trip
- Upper School Peer Leadership Outdoor Trip